Do not let the pimples and acne scars keep you from having good skin and living life the way you want. Visit Century Medical and Dental Center to get the best primary care for your skin and prevent an outbreak of pimples that not only affect your looks but shake your confidence too with their ugly appearance. The expert doctor will suggest effective acne treatments along with lifestyle changes and preventive measures to reduce pimple breakouts and heal scars or spots and help you enjoy flawless and healthy skin.
What Are Pimples?
Pimples and pimple spots appear, in most cases, as the natural boils on your skin. They are the type of acne that results from blocked pores due to excessive oil production, dead skin cells, toxins, and bacteria trapped in the skin pores. This clogging of pores leads to pimples. Pimples can be your worst nightmare as they appear without any warning and result in a lot of frustration.
Pimples may be irritating and painful, but they can be managed and cared for with proper care. What makes pimples so scary are the marks and blemishes they leave behind. Pimple scars are stubborn. They take away the natural glow of the skin, leaving it dotted with dark spots. The pesky pimple marks are a constant reminder of acne and ruin your dream of flawless and perfect skin.
What Is Acne?
Acne is a long-term condition of the skin that involves oil glands at the base of a hair follicle. It can cause several non-inflammatory and inflammatory skin lesions, such as pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, cysts, etc., that are not good to look at and affect the skin tone and appearance.
Causes of Acne
Acne can get triggered by several factors. They include:
- Lack of sleep or irregular sleep patterns;
- Hormonal changes;
- Lack of hydration;
- Genetic susceptibility;
- Use of certain medications such as steroids;
- Too much dandruff begins to affect the forehead skin;
- Excessive sweating;
- Use of too many skincare products;
- Exposure to toxins or ultraviolet rays;
- Alcohol consumption;
- Foods containing high sugar content such as chocolates, donuts, and sodas;
- Excessive use of milk products.
Types of Acne
Acne is graded according to its signs and symptoms, severity, and the way it affects you. Types of acne include:
- Mild – This type of acne causes whiteheads and blackheads or several mildly irritated small pimples known as pustules. The good thing is that these pimples do not leave any marks.
- Moderate – It is accompanied by more blackheads and whiteheads as well as pimples, and pustules that appear mostly on the face.
- Severe – It manifests itself with a large number of whiteheads and blackheads, a lot of papules and pustules, as well as painful nodules on the skin. This type of ache can leave pimple marks on the skin if it is not treated right.
Dark pink or brown spots on the skin, also known as hyperpigmentation, result from skin damage after the inflammation subsides. The trauma to the skin that results from excessive exposure to the sun or popping pimples leads to increased production of melanin during the healing process, leading to hyperpigmentation.
Top Tips to Get Rid of Pimples and Pimple Marks
Living with pimples is not fun at all. Not only do they affect your overall appearance, but they also disturb your confidence levels as you know you do not look your best.
The best way to take care of your pimples and get rid of them is by preventing further occurrences and incorporating a healthy diet and hygiene routine in your life. However, there is much more than diet and lifestyle that can help to deal with pimple marks.
Here are physicians recommended tips on how to remove pimple and pimple marks most effectively.
1. Maintain good skin hygiene
- Cleanse your face at least twice every day with a mild soap or face wash and lukewarm water to get rid of excess dirt, sweat, and oil. Being out is not right for skin where it gets exposed to the sun and other elements. Going to bed with these impurities on the skin can lead to an outbreak of pimples;
- Do not rub your face harshly, as facial skin is most sensitive;
- Make it a point to cleanse your skin with a good quality moisturizer after every wash and shower to ensure it remains soft, and the open pores do not collect any dirt or other pollutants;
- Do not touch your face again and again, as dirty hands can transfer bacteria to the face that can result in pimples;
- Wash your hair regularly and keep them away from the face, as dirty hair also contain pollutants and bacteria that can move onto the face.
2. Avoid too much makeup
- Too much makeup is not good for the skin as it contains chemicals, and when chemicals stay in contact with your skin for long durations and too frequently, it can harm the natural skin texture;
- Using pore-clogging oil-based makeup can cause or worsen acne, particularly if it is not removed thoroughly, as it prevents the skin from getting fresh air;
- Make sure to buy good quality makeup that does not contain substandard ingredients which harm the skin and lead to various reactions like acne, rashes, and dryness;
- Do not go to sleep with makeup as it clogs the pores, which leads to acne, breakouts, and dull and dead skin.
3. Choose a quality, oil-free sunscreen
- Choosing a good sunscreen is necessary as the UVA and UVB rays from the sun can make areas of hyperpigmentation even more noticeable;
- Too much exposure to the sun can cause further acne breakouts;
- Going out unprotected can increase debris on the surface of the skin;
- Acne scars, or inflammatory pigmentation, can be exacerbated by the sun, and the acne scars are less likely to fade if you do not protect your skin;
- Sunscreen contains zinc oxide that has have anti-inflammatory properties and is known to help reduce redness and treat acne;
- Non-comedogenic sunscreen also commonly contains ingredients like niacinamide, which is known to be anti-inflammatory and soothes the acne reactions.
4. Avoid touching, squeezing, or popping your pimples
- Do not touch or squeeze your whiteheads and blackheads or try to pop or pick the pimple as it can lead to infections and scarring;
- Picking or squeezing a pimple can force debris deeper into the skin, spreading the infection to other tissues and worsening the inflammation;
- Popping up pimples can extend the healing time and increase the chances of a permanent scar;
- If you have picked a pimple, take steps to heal it to minimize skin damage or scarring.
5. Make positive diet and lifestyle changes
- Increase your water intake as hydration plays a very significant role in a glowing and healthy skin;
- Add fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet;
- Get a good night’s rest as your skin can look great when it is well-rested;
- Avoid too many sugary and oily foods as they can lead to acne and pimples in the long run;
- Keep stress away by mediation, yoga, and adopting healthier habits such as walking a short distance instead of taking a car.
Following these tips can help you control acne and outbreak of painful pimples.
How to Remove Pimples Naturally at Home
With the help of home remedies, you can look forward to reducing pimples and pimple marks and making your skin look healthy.
It is a natural bleaching agent with antimicrobial activity that kills microorganisms or stops their growth. Regular use of lemon can help to reduce pimples and also remove dark spots in the long run.
With its antimicrobial properties that work against bacteria, honey is very good for reducing the outbreak of pimples and removing dark spots from the skin.
With its antibacterial and anti-proliferative properties that help in preventing or retarding the spread of malignant cells, argan oil is an effective home remedy that works well against pimples and their scars.
Clay masks have become very popular as they absorb excess oil from the skin, which often leads to acne and pimples. Some popular varieties include clay jojoba oil facial masks, Kaolin clay, fuller’s earth clay, and French green clay masks.
Vitamin E oil
Vitamin E is known for its regenerative powers. It plays a significant role in reducing the outbreak of pimples and removing dark spots left by them.
Tea tree oil
With its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, tea tree oil is good for preventing or reducing pimple outbreaks.
Apple cider vinegar
It is one of the best things to get rid of pimples and acne. Apple cider vinegar acts as a natural astringent and helps in stimulating blood flow, which aids in cells regeneration and leads the way to clearer skin. It is often used with honey to enhance antibacterial properties that aid in pimple reduction.
Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties that prevent acne breakout and heal existing pimples. It is a great natural exfoliant high in antioxidants that slows down the natural aging process, keeping your skin healthy and supple.
Aloe Vera contains antibacterial properties that can control and reduce acne-causing bacteria. Using Aloe Vera is a gentle way to soothe your skin as it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that cleanse and heal wounds.
Paste of Mint leaves in water or Rosewater + Lemon Juice
Salicylic acid in mint leaves helps create an anti-inflammatory astringent with antioxidant properties that reduce acne by exfoliating the skin and keeping pores clear.
Over the years, green tea has become famous for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces the secretion of excessive oil production that controls pimple outbreaks.
Treating acne scars
Treating acne scars is not simple, and it is not a one-day or week job. It requires specialized treatment by experienced and certified dermatologists who recommend the best methods depending on the type and severity of acne.
Pimple is an outcome of acne, and to treat pimples and remove their marks, you must first control acne outbreak. Acne takes time to heal, and no treatment can remove acne, heal pimples and get rid of scars overnight. Following the skincare regime, usage of natural ingredients and application of medicated creams can keep the pimples awat. Schedule an appointment with a family medicine doctor at the Century Medical and Dental Center to learn about the do’s and don’ts for quick healing to enjoy healthy and glowing skin. The expert doctor will come up with practical solutions to treat existing pimples and prevent new outbreaks, giving you a chance to look your best.