Otolaryngology is a medical specialty that deals with your ears, nose and throat (ENT), as well as related neck and head issues. For example, if you have ringing in your ears after an accident in which you bumped your head, you’d go see an ENT doctor in Brooklyn. The best otolaryngologist evaluates, diagnoses and treats a wide range of ear, nose and throat disorders for you and your family. Your family or internist doctors at Century Medical and Dental may make a referral to an ENT doctor for his specialty.
Note: Otolaryngologists at Century Medical and Dental Center located in Downtown Brooklyn, Flatbush, Gravesend Fort Greene and Midtown Manhattan locations are accepting all major insurance plans including Medicare, Medicaid, HIP, Emblemhealth, GHI, MetroPlus, Fidelis. Our top rated doctors providing a full range of medical procedures and are among the best otolaryngology doctors in the region.
Otolaryngology is pronounced just as it’s spelled. But it’s still a mouthful, which is why most people refer to an otolaryngologist as an ears, nose and throat doctor. The common abbreviation is shorter yet — an ENT doctor.
Physicians who are trained in the field of otolaryngology study the physiology and diseases of the ears, nose and throat. They also study other areas around the neck and head. As far as medical specialties go, otolaryngology is the oldest in the United States.
Covering the Ears in the ENT
Hearing loss is one of the most common problems in the U.S., affecting approximately one in 10 Americans. While an audiologist provides the examinations to test your hearing, it’s the best otolaryngologist that looks after your treatment.
Issues that affect your ears and receive the attention of your ENT doctors in Downtown Brooklyn include:
- Tinnitus or ringing in the ears
- Ear infections
- Nerve disorders in the cranium
- Swimmers ear
- Disorders affecting your balance
- Surgical interventions for hearing loss
Otolaryngologists in Brooklyn
Gravesend, Flatbush, Downtown
Gravesend, Flatbush, Downtown
"Clean, spacious office, friendly stuff and nice atmosphere. saw an ENT doctor, she was great!" - Olia Li
200 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
770 Flatbush Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11226
Next Up Is the Nose in the ENT
Consider yourself among good company if you have chronic sinus problems; you’re one of about 35 million in the U.S. alone who live with chronic sinusitis. Your Brooklyn otolaryngologist stays very busy because right behind lower back problems, sinusitis is the most common medical complaints.
It’s up to your ENT to take care of your nasal cavities and treat some of the more common ailments and conditions that, in addition to sinus issues, may include:
- Foreign body removal
- Smell disorders
- Deviated septum
And the Throat in the ENT
While smelling and hearing are important senses, without a healthy throat, you can experience substantial challenges communicating and eating. Your throat concerns are the province of the best Downtown Brooklyn ENT doctor in caring for your ultimate well-being.
Conditions that your ENT at Century Medical and Dental commonly treats include:
- Disorders that affect swallowing
- Voice box, or larynx, problems
- Issues with your upper throat caused by acid reflux
- Strep bacterial infections
When Do Head and Neck Issues Fall Within the Scope of the ENT?
You may get a referral to your ENT from a family practice physician or from your internist, from a gastroenterologist or a dietician. As they know, certain head and neck issues are best tackled by an otolaryngologist in Brooklyn.
Some of the more common referrals seen by your Brooklyn ENT include:
- Benign tumors
- Facial deformities
- Facial injuries
- Reconstructive and cosmetic face procedures
Preferred Otolaryngology Diagnostics
You want the best ENT doctor to perform the diagnostic test you need before recommending any surgical interventions or other treatment options. Without a clear and definite diagnosis, you won’t get the most appropriate treatment, one that specifically addresses the cause of your symptoms.
The preferred diagnostic tools your ENT uses to get to the bottom of your medical problems include:
- Endoscopy. An endoscope is a lighted tube that your ENT places in your nasal cavity to get a better look at the condition of your sinuses.
- Laryngoscopy. This procedure relies on a laryngoscope to look into your throat, pulling aside tissues so your otolaryngologist in Downtown Brooklyn can best view your larynx and upper bronchial tubes.
- Medical history. Always a tool that your ENT employs to find out if you have genetic issues affecting your ears, nose and throat. A history also gives your otolaryngologist a clear idea of your symptoms, how long you’ve had them and how severe they are.
- Lab tests. The right test can determine the extent of your infections.
- Actual physical exams. There’s nothing like a hands-on exam to give your ENT substantial information.
- Sleep apnea tests. These tests can help determine breathing difficulties.
Primary Areas of ENT Treatments
Treatments provided by the best otolaryngologist in Brooklyn vary just as widely as the number of conditions. Some treatments take place in the ENT’s office, and others must occur in the hospital. The field of otolaryngology prepares your doctor to do surgeries to repair damaged eardrums, remove tumors and insert cochlear implants.
Your ENT is trained in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Medications and tools such as sleep apnea machines are prescribed by the best otolaryngologist. Your ENT doctor may also have training with special tools to treat children, seniors or athletes. When you work with the talented team within the Century Medical and Dental group, you’ll get the proper services to treat your ears, nose and throat concerns.