Internal medicine is a field of practice that encompasses a wide range of health issues. Practicing internal medicine in Brooklyn, your doctor most likely serves as your primary physician and makes referrals to specialists when necessary. Your internist in Brooklyn is a holistic practitioner focused on adolescents and adults in your family. Make your appointment today to experience comprehensive primary care. Come visit our internal medicine clinic to get the care you need in the safe and reassuring hands of the best internal medicine doctors in Brooklyn NY.
Note: Brooklyn internal medicine doctors and primary care internists at Century Medical and Dental Center located in Downtown Brooklyn, Flatbush or Gravesend locations are accepting all major insurance plans including Medicare and Medicaid.
Your primary care physician (internal medicine doctor) in Brooklyn is your first line of treatment in your day-to-day care. An internist focuses on your whole body while treating adolescents, adults and the elderly. For many people without small children, primary care doctors in Brooklyn acts as their family doctor. Understanding how multiple diagnoses may relate to each other and affect the entire body is a concern that falls under your internist’s umbrella.
Though the title internist implies that only internal organs are considered, your internal medicine physician in Brooklyn covers all manner of acute or chronic illnesses and diseases. In contrast, a family physician can treat children as well as adults.
Your doctor of internal medicine in Brooklyn covers long-term, comprehensive care in both an office setting and in a hospital.
Internal Medicine Doctors and Primary Care Physicians in Brooklyn
Gravesend, Flatbush, Downtown
Services Provided by Your Brooklyn Internists
Our best in class internists provide various services and medical exams such as:
- Annual physicals and checkups
- Cancer screening
- Care and management during cancer procedures
- Rapid flu and strep Testing
- Travel vaccines, as well as keeping up with your normal flu vaccine schedule
- Medical Clearance, Pre-Surgical, Pre-Operative Clearance
- Bone density test
- Immigration Exam
- Diabetic screening and control
- Sports exams
- Rapid stress test for cardiovascular concerns
- IV infusions for disease management
- Wellness education
- Any other non-surgical preventive care
Conditions Covered by Your Primary Care Doctor in Brooklyn
The internal medicine doctors in Brooklyn deal with a wide range of health concerns. Some of the most common medical conditions include:
- Arthritis / Osteoarthritis
- Chest pain
- Migraine headaches
- Sinus infection
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- High blood pressure (hypertension) and other vascular conditions
- Joint pain or discomfort
- Skin disorders
- Muscle sprains and strains suffered during exercise, sports or daily activity
- Depression or anxiety concerns
- Acute respiratory disorders
- Common colds and sore throats
- Flu symptoms management
- Treatment of infections
- Substance abuse issues
- Common problems with your eyes, ears, and skin
- Disorders of the nervous system
- Reproductive organ concerns
Your Primary Care Doctor in Brooklyn Works with Other Specialties
Most internists are referred to as general internal medicine physicians, while some internal medicine doctors choose to specialize in a specific area. When your internist in Brooklyn requires specific specialization for you or your family members, the Century Medical and Dental group offers those specialties.
It’s common for doctors of internal medicine in Brooklyn to seek referrals and work closely with a wide range of specialists, such as:
- Social workers and psychologists, who may need to be consulted about adolescent issues, dementia in a family member or mental health issues you may be facing
- Cardiologist to provide testing and treatment of severe cardiovascular disease, such as arrhythmia or heart attacks
- Endocrinologist for concerns about diabetes, thyroid disorders, metabolism, issues with bones and calcium, obesity and nutritional concerns, or your reproductive system
- Immunologist to treat differing responses to allergy-producing substances and how to manage them
- Infectious disease specialists
- Hematologist for the study and care of blood disorders
- Nephrologist for treatment of kidney problems and how they affect the entire body
- Gastroenterologist when you have digestive system disorders and accompanying concerns
- Oncologist to treat cancer effectively
- Dietitian to provide guidance for losing weight or incorporating supplements into your diet
- Rheumatologist when you have musculoskeletal disorders such as arthritis, autoimmune diseases, anorexia, or when weight loss, fatigue or joint and muscle pain affect you
All internal medicine physicians are thoroughly equipped to solve diagnostic problems and handle chronic illnesses. This type of primary care physician often becomes your longest relationship with a doctor, as their training allows them to care for you for the duration of your adult life. Your general practitioner of internal medicine in Brooklyn isn’t interested in treating you on a case-by-case basis, but walks with you through long-term prevention and care.
Differences in Internal Medicine Doctors and Family Medicine Physicians
Functioning as big-picture doctors, internal medicine physicians provide quality care based on your overall body’s needs and concerns. They understand the larger organism that is your body. They refer any specialty issues to those other physicians whose focus is narrower.
While both Brooklyn internists and general practitioners can and often do fill the role of your primary caregiver, our internists usually focus on adolescents and adults, leaving children to pediatricians or general practitioners. General practitioners have much broader training and prefer to keep their scope as wide as possible.
Our Brooklyn internists work in hospital settings as part of a complete caregiving team, acting as coordinators for your treatment in combination with other specialists and providing a comprehensive range of diagnostic services and treatment care. Your practitioner of internal medicine in Brooklyn wants to build a long-term, comprehensive relationship with you for maintaining your best health and providing the highest quality of life on a day-to-day basis.
Do you have any questions for internal medicine doctors Brooklyn? Would you like to schedule an appointment with Brooklyn’s top rated primary care physicians of Century Medical and Dental? Please contact our office for a consultation with a general practitioner.