Gynecology is the field of medicine that deals with the many issues women encounter in a lifetime. Your gynecologist in Brooklyn may be with you from before your first baby. Your Brooklyn gynecologist can treat your teenager as she begins menstruating and your mother as her bones weaken. The best gynecologist in Brooklyn can serve as your primary care physician, making referrals when necessary. Your gynecologist in downtown Brooklyn is a popular female gynecologist in Brooklyn because she cares about your well-being.
Note: Brooklyn gynecologists at Century Medical and Dental Center located in Downtown Brooklyn, Flatbush or Gravesend locations are accepting all major insurance plans including Medicare and Medicaid.
Gynecology is often referred to as the specialty for women’s issues. And it is, mostly. Your gynecologist in Brooklyn deals with female health, the reproductive system and sexual problems, whether you identify as a woman or not. The best gynecologist in Brooklyn treats medical issues and delivers babies, too.
The primary role of gynecology, though, is the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of:
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Hormonal issues
Your Brooklyn Gynecologist Is In
Many women rely on their gynecologist for all their health needs, especially when they find a female gynecologist in Brooklyn with whom they can build a trusting relationship. When you visit a primary care Brooklyn specialists or women’s doctor who is part of a group such as the Century Medical and Dental group, you can always get referrals when necessary.
While your gynecologist in downtown Brooklyn can treat you for many conditions, there may be times when you need a different specialist. During these times, your gynecologist sends you to one without hesitation. You may be referred to a:
- Cardiologist for heart problems
- Endocrinologist if you have thyroid issues
- Podiatrist for foot problems
- Neurologist to treat nerve pain
- Pain management specialist for chronic pain treatment
- Otolaryngologist if you have medical conditions with your ears, nose or throat
Our Gynecology Doctors
Sheepshead Bay, Flatbush
Sheepshead Bay, Flatbush, Downtown
Primary Services from Your Brooklyn Gynecologist
Many women start visiting a gynecologist in Brooklyn when they’re teenagers, often going to their mothers’ doctor for their first visit. Once a teen has begun menstruating, regular visits are recommended. When females become sexually active, it’s advisable to maintain annual checkups.
Some of the most common procedures covered by the gynecology field include birth control in its various forms, such as:
- IUD insertion. This birth control device needs to be put in place by your female gynecologist in Brooklyn.
- IUD removal. No one except your trusted Brooklyn gynecologist should perform this procedure to ensure you don’t develop any infections.
- Pessary fit and insertion. A pessary is a contraceptive that’s also used as a delivery system for antibiotics or to hold up your uterus when necessary.
- Birth control pill prescriptions. Your doctor monitors your pill usage to make sure you don’t suffer from any undo side effects.
You should continue visiting the best gynecologist in Brooklyn for a well woman visit even when you’ve reached menopause. Throughout your life, your gynecology doctor provides an array of important preventive procedures, tests and diagnostics to maintain your overall health. These services may include:
- Pap smear. Your doctor removes a sample of cells from your cervix to test for disease and/or infection.
- Breast exam. This exam is done in conjunction with an annual mammogram to look for unusual lumps or signs that you may have developed the beginnings of breast cancer.
- Bone density tests. These tests help to catch osteoporosis in the earliest stages when treatment and lifestyle changes are most helpful.
- Urine pregnancy test. It’s always better to get a pregnancy test from your gynecologist in Brooklyn rather than from the local pharmacy.
Treatments When Needed
At various times in your life, you may have issues that require further testing and/or treatment. Through your entire pregnancy, for example, your doctor’s gynecology expertise allows her to track your progress and ensure that you meet various health checkpoints throughout the nine months. As you reach menopause, your Brooklyn gynecologist can help you get through uncomfortable side effects with effective medication, like hormone replacement supplements.
Other tests commonly performed in the office of your gynecologist in downtown Brooklyn or in an outpatient hospital setting include:
- Biopsy, to test breast or other tissue samples to determine if unusual cells are malignant or benign
- Endometrial biopsy, a technique used to scrape a tissue sample from your uterus to also test it for signs of cancer or other diseases
- Colposcopy, sometimes performed after an abnormal pap smear to better examine your vagina, vulva and cervix for signs of disease
- Urodynamic testing, which is done when you have problems urinating or issues with your urethra, especially when you report problems with your bladder
- Dilation and curettage, more commonly referred to as a D&C, which is a procedure the best gynecologist in Brooklyn does when you have endometriosis or excessive bleeding
- Tubal ligation, a permanent form of birth control that involves tying your tubes
- Hysterectomy, a surgical procedure that can be done in a few different ways to remove your uterus