Your family practice doctor is often your primary care physician. Using a doctor from a family practice, you get a generalist who makes it a goal to keep you and your family healthy, through the childhood diseases, the little accidents and the adult struggles with aging. Your family practice physician is your first line of defense against illnesses and ailments for all members of your family, regardless of age, gender or lifestyle.
Note: Brooklyn family physicians at Century Medical and Dental Center located in Downtown Brooklyn, Flatbush or Gravesend locations are accepting all major insurance plans including Medicare, Medicaid, HIP, Emblemhealth, GHI, MetroPlus, Fidelis. Our top rated doctors providing a full range of medical procedures and are among the best family physicians in the region.
A family practice in Brooklyn has a big advantage over other medical specialties: their relationship with you and your family. By building that relationship over years, your family practice physician is able to know your medical history, which helps him make faster diagnoses and more targeted treatment plans. This advantage applies to all your family members too.
Unlike a gastroenterologist or cardiologist, a family practice doctor has a much broader knowledge base. He may not know as much about your digestive tract or your heart, but he knows enough to recognize a medical issue when it arises. Your family doctor can investigate and diagnose physiological problems and behavioral issues. His knowledge includes:
- The most up-to-date medical research
- A firm understanding of all diseases
- Knowing the functionality and physiology of each organ
- Knowledge of the medical problems that relate to your family at any age
- Study in ailments that are particular to men, women, adolescents and children
Choosing Your Family Practice Physician
Gravesend, Flatbush, Downtown
"I've been seeing Dr. Galilova since I moved to NYC about 2.5 yrs ago and she is excellent - I love her. She is always kind and is very patient. I never feel rushed in an appointment with her. Personally, I think that is one of the most important characteristics of a good doctor: caring enough about your patients to explain things thoroughly, and answer all their questions." - Nats Ogami
200 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
770 Flatbush Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11226
You need a Brooklyn doctor you can trust with your family’s health. Find a doctor you like, one who listens and takes the time to answer your questions. When you trust that your family doctor has your family’s best interests in mind, you’re more likely to follow his guidance and advice.
Of course, your doctor’s credentials are important. All family practice doctors must:
- Earn a postgraduate doctoral degree, the MD, which is a four-year course of study
- Prove himself in the field during a two-residency program
- Get a license to practice in the state of New York
- Become board certified in family practice
The Role of a Family Practice
Your choice for a family practice physician sets the tone for your family’s entire health care. Many insurance companies require a primary care physician, through which you can get appointments to specialists. But more than that, your family doctor provides primary or first-stop care. When something’s bothering you or one of the members of your family, the first call goes to your doctor in Brooklyn, not to the hospital.
Most of the medical care you need is delivered to you by your family practice physician. He can treat wounds and prescribe medications. He can recommend lifestyle changes to help you prevent disease. A good primary care physician can save your life and save you money by delivering appropriate care at the right time.
In a Sea of Specialists
Medical specialties have their place in the health care system, and they deliver needed services. But you don’t need a specialist to look at your son’s scraped elbow or the pain in your side. At least not yet. If it’s a serious enough injury or illness, your doctor recommends a specialist or even a trip to the hospital. Often, he can solve the issue right there in his Brooklyn office.
Having a Brooklyn family practice doctor as your primary care physician means you and your family get ongoing and comprehensive medical care. No doctor makes house calls anymore, but your family doctor can get you in to see him when he knows you need him. And that’s the value of having a relationship with your family doctor.
Services Provided by Your Brooklyn Physicians
Our best in class family physicians provide various services and medical exams such as:
- Annual physicals and checkups
- Cancer screening
- Care and management during cancer procedures
- Rapid flu and strep Testing
- Travel vaccines, as well as keeping up with your normal flu vaccine schedule
- Medical Clearance, Pre-Surgical, Pre-Operative Clearance
- Bone density test
- Immigration Exam
- Diabetic screening and control
- Sports exams
- Rapid stress test for cardiovascular concerns
- IV infusions for disease management
- Wellness education
- Any other non-surgical preventive care
Conditions Covered by Your Family Doctor in Brooklyn
The family medicine doctors in Brooklyn deal with a wide range of health concerns.
Some of the most common medical conditions include:
- Arthritis / Osteoarthritis
- Chest pain
- Migraine headaches
- Sinus infection
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- High blood pressure (hypertension) and other vascular conditions
- Joint pain or discomfort
- Skin disorders
- Muscle sprains and strains suffered during exercise, sports or daily activity
- Depression or anxiety concerns
- Acute respiratory disorders
- Common colds and sore throats
- Flu symptoms management
- Treatment of infections
- Substance abuse issues
- Common problems with your eyes, ears, and skin
- Disorders of the nervous system
- Reproductive organ concerns
General Knowledge Helps Deliver Holistic Medicine
According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, family practice doctors account for about 25 percent of all initial doctor visits. Your family physician incorporates three aspects into a single medical practice:
- Medical knowledge from education and experience
- Diagnostic and practical medical skills
- An inquisitive process for uncovering sources and reasons for medical difficulties
It’s the third point above that makes family practice doctors so valued. To seek a comprehensive picture of your health, your doctor needs to learn more about you than where it hurts. There are family dynamics, job stresses and physical and emotional tendencies. All of these become clear to a doctor who knows you and has developed a relationship with you. It’s a holistic approach that makes your family doctor so important to your family’s overall health and well-being.
Brooklyn’s Family Practice Physicians
At Century Medical & Dental, you’ll find doctors who want to get to know you and your family. They see the value in building relationships. They want to take care of your family as they grow. They want to help you guard against preventable diseases and repair broken limbs when the need arises.
Working with family members from the newly born to the rapidly aging, your family practice physician connects with every member of your family. He educates, advises and recommends treatments. And that’s exactly what you want in a family practice doctor.