Physical therapy in Brooklyn is available for your whole family and is useful if your family is involved in various sports. It’s usually recommended following a surgical procedure, a prolonged period of inactivity or bed rest, and as you recover from an injury. Physical therapists are trained to work with all ages and backgrounds to help regain as much mobility as possible. A back pain doctor specializing in physical therapy can work wonders with helping you manage your pain.
Note: Physical therapy specialists at Century Medical and Dental Center located in Downtown Brooklyn, Flatbush, Gravesend Fort Greene, and Midtown Manhattan accept all major insurance plans, including Medicare, Medicaid, HIP, Emblemhealth, GHI, MetroPlus, and Fidelis. Our top-rated doctors provide a full range of medical procedures and are among the best in the region.
This branch of medicine aims to help you lessen pain and restore or improve mobility. The physical therapy clinic in Brooklyn has the equipment to help you and your family reduce the risks of needing surgery. If you require invasive surgery, we can assist you in returning to a fully functioning, active lifestyle.
Our doctors help you taper off or, even in many cases, remove the need for prescription pain medication that can have significant side effects. As insurance carriers, Brooklyn internal medicine physicians of all backgrounds and government entities create programs to reduce America’s reliance on opioids. Brooklyn physical therapy can step in and take its place in many situations.
Education and Therapeutic Exercise
You may be referred to a physical therapist from any number of other specialty practices, such as:
- Cardiology, after undergoing heart surgery or following a stroke or heart attack
- Family practice, when your kids need rehabilitation following a sports injury or you broke your arm in a bad fall
- Dietitian, when you’re working on a weight loss program for your health
- Pain management, as part of your therapy as dictated by your back pain specialist or surgeon
- Orthopedic surgery, following a surgical procedure that affected your mobility
Your treatment may begin with regular visits to our office. However, it always ends with you receiving detailed instructions on maintaining your recovery, continuing with mobility and exercise plans, staying healthy, and avoiding further procedures. After our staff has taught you how to maintain your routine correctly, you may eventually limit or eliminate trips to the office.
Physical Therapists in Brooklyn
Gravesend, Flatbush, Downtown, Myrtle
"Friendly doctors and staff! Office was clean and comfortable. Doctor was caring and knowledgeable, taking time to really listen to me and answer all my questions." - Katie Thigpen
Conditions Your Brooklyn Physical Therapy Office Treats
Sports medicine experts, back pain physicians, and physical therapists provide services for various ailments, accidents, and recovery processes.
Some of the most common conditions that may require our services include:
- Ligament sprains. Nearly 85% of all ligament sprains occur in the ankle. Basketball players are especially prone to severe ankle ligament sprains. Your doctor usually recommends taping and rest first, followed by a slow return to weight-bearing exercises.
- Muscle and tendon sprains. Twists, falls, and overuse can lead to tendon and muscle sprains. Often referred to as a pulled muscle, excessive exercising is one cause. High-speed activities like running and applying sustained pressure, such as sitting too long with poor posture, are equally taxing on tendons and muscles. Our doctors can ease you back into playing while teaching you the proper form to prevent future problems.
- Frozen shoulder. This condition occurs when you don’t fully stretch before using your shoulders or leave your arm still, as in a sling after an injury or surgery. You must learn proper stretching techniques and do them regularly to prevent a recurrence.
- Achilles tendonitis. Most common among athletes and active adults. Physical therapy can dramatically ease the pain from this condition. You will learn proper stretches and strengthening exercises during this treatment. Our medical team may provide you with massage or ultrasound heat therapy as you heal.
Your doctor may appoint physical therapy for other conditions, including:
- Back Pain
- Upper Back Pain
- Lower Back Pain
- Middle Back Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Knee Pain
- Elbow Pain
- Hip Pain
Physical Therapy Tools
When you undergo treatment, we’ll likely introduce you to many tools to aid in your recovery.
We commonly use the following tools:
- Paraffin wax, an effective drug-free regimen that’s useful for arthritis-related mobility problems and aching hands
- Hot/cold packs, which are used as alternating treatments to reduce inflammation and pain
- Treadmills, incorporated in the back pain specialist’s repertoire because they’re useful for easing you back into a walking routine that you learn how to do properly
- TENS, electrical stimulation tools common in our practice
- Massage bars, which we often use to work out the kinks you may get when recovering from sprains and strains
- Exercise bands that make easy-to-use resistance tools, helping you rebuild strength
When combined with other healthy lifestyle changes, physical therapy can serve as the catalyst you need to resume an active lifestyle.