Dermatology is the medical specialty that takes care of your skin, hair, and nails. Our dermatologist provides many treatments for a full range of skin disorders. Visit Century Medical and Dental for a dermatologist trained to take care of your entire family. The best dermatology specialists in Brooklyn are ready to watch over your skin as part of your ongoing health.
Note: Dermatologists at Century Medical and Dental Center located in Downtown Brooklyn, Flatbush, Gravesend Fort Greene, and Midtown Manhattan locations are accepting all major insurance plans, including Medicare, Medicaid, HIP, Emblemhealth, GHI, MetroPlus, and Fidelis. Our doctors provide a full range of medical procedures and are among the best dermatology doctors in the region.
A dermatologist diagnoses and treats your skin, hair, and nails. As the largest and most visible organ of your body, your skin is the barrier that protects it from outside elements.
Along with your hair and nails, your skin is exposed to many toxins and environmental attacks. As a result, this barrier is vulnerable to many possible abnormalities and disorders.
Your doctor works to protect your skin while providing cosmetic procedures to address your skin concerns—one of the key areas of dermatologists’ training in diagnosing and treating skin cancers.
While many other disorders are possible, the predominance and potential seriousness of skin cancer mean that you should rely on the best dermatology specialists in Brooklyn for the health of your entire family.
Our Dermatology Doctors
"Friendly doctors and staff! Office was clean and comfortable. Doctor was caring and knowledgeable, taking time to really listen to me and answer all my questions." - Katie Thigpen
Skin Disorders Covered by Our Dermatologists
Our dermatologist treats a wide range of skin concerns. The most common include:
- Dry skin;
- Itchy skin;
- Acne and rosacea;
- Dark shadows under your eyes;
- Skin rashes;
- Athlete’s foot;
- Cold sores;
- Genital warts;
- Skin tags;
- Stretch marks;
- Skin discoloration, including birthmarks and red spots on the skin;
- Sun damage, including broken capillaries, skin growths, lines, and pigment concerns;
- Any injury or trauma that resulted in wounds, scars, or burns;
- Aging skin may appear uneven due to wrinkles, lines, and age spots.
Other skin conditions that we can treat include:
- Seborrheic dermatitis;
- Painful skin or joints;
- Varicose veins;
- Keratosis pilaris;
- Actinic keratosis, a rough patch of skin;
- Hives and shingles;
- Vitiligo or the loss of melanin in the skin;
- Skin cancers or growths, including basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma.
Besides skin issues, your dermatology specialists treat:
- Hair disorders;
- Nail fungus;
- Excessive sweating.
Procedures Our Dermatology Specialists Provides
Your cosmetic and aesthetics doctor has access to numerous procedures. He recommends the most appropriate to protect or restore your skin’s health and wellness. Medical procedures in our Brooklyn primary care clinic include:
- Mole removal;
- Skin tag removal;
- Acne scar revision;
- Cyst excision;
- Collecting skin cultures;
- Taking skin growth biopsies by shaving, punching, or excision biopsy;
- Allergy testing for the skin;
- Treatment for aging or sun-damaged skin;
- Papilloma removal, which involves the removal of benign polyps that sometimes occur as you age;
- Retinoid cream treatments for spots, wrinkles, acne, skin cancer, and psoriasis;
- Surgical options for treatment or correction.
State-of-the-art procedures include:
- Laser hair removal;
- Fungal infection test with a Wood’s lamp;
- The use of electrocautery, a high-frequency current that seals off blood vessels, removes unwanted tissue, or produces surgical incisions;
- Cryotherapy or cryolipolysis, which involves freezing fat cells so the body can break them down and remove them;
- Other laser therapy options include resurfacing and intense pulsed light (IPL) procedures;
- Photodynamic therapy using light therapy to treat precancerous skin concerns.
Cosmetic services include:
- Application of botulinum toxin for wrinkles;
- Dermabrasion or microdermabrasion to improve the skin’s condition;
- Face and neck lifts;
- Hair implants;
- Tattoo removal;
- Tissue tightening procedures;
- Chemical peels for skin rejuvenation;
- Vein treatments such as ambulatory phlebectomy;
- Blepharoplasty or eyelid lifts;
- Laser therapy for spider veins;
- Microlipoinjection, or fat transfer, or other dermal fillers to eliminate the sunken appearance of a less youthful face;
- Cellfina used to improve the appearance of cellulite;
- Other chemical injectables to break down the fat tissue in your body such as injectable deoxycholic acid;
- Micropigmentation or the insertion of colored pigments for cosmetic purposes or to treat scars or vitiligo;
- Body contouring through laser therapy, radiofrequency, or ultrasound.
Prevention for Healthy Skin
As with any specialty, the best dermatologist looks for the most effective dermatology trends to help prevent, maintain, and restore some of your most youthful qualities. However, the best option for your healthiest skin is a good prevention program. Prevention begins in childhood but can and should be practiced throughout your life for the best results.
Your dermatologist can help you develop a healthy skin protocol that includes:
- A healthy non-inflammatory diet, including plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and lots of colorful fruits and vegetables rich in varied vitamins and nutrients;
- Constant vigilance regarding sunscreen, appropriate sun-protecting clothing, and sunglasses that include protection for the top of your head, your lips, and the tops of your feet;
- Monitoring your skin and its condition to be aware of any changes in color, texture, or growths, along with annual checkups that help provide treatment at the earliest possible stages of any skin condition.
Taking care of your insides and skin increases your chances of staying healthy, protected, and intense as you move through each stage of your life. Our dermatologist in Downtown Brooklyn works with you to keep your skin as healthy as possible.