What Is Vaginoplasty?
Vaginoplasty is a surgical procedure that tries to tighten up the walls of a vagina that has become slack or loose from aging and vaginal childbirth. There are also some indications that vaginoplasty also improves sensitivity during sexual intercourse, however, this has not been proven yet. Sexual response is thought to be related to emotional, spiritual and interpersonal factors. Sexual desire, arousal and orgasm are very complex, and it is less likely that they can be affected by vaginoplasty.
What Is Labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure performed on the surrounding tissue of the vagina, the so-called vaginal lips. This procedure can be performed alone or together combined with vaginoplasty. Labiaplasty can be performed on labia major, (the so-called the larger lips, which are the outer lips of vagina), or on labia minor (the so-called small lips, which are the inner lips of vagina). Usually, labiaplasty tries to correct any anomalies on their size, shape or asymmetry.
Reconstructive and Cosmetic Causes of Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty
These two surgical procedures, Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty can be performed either for reconstructive or cosmetic causes. It is very important to understand the differences between reconstructive surgeries and cosmetic surgeries of the female genital organs.
Reconstructive surgeries intend to improve the function of a body part or organ. In cases of Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty, reconstructive surgery has been performed to correct any possible malformation or damages to the female genital organs during childbirth. However, today Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty have grown into cosmetic procedures, also known as designer vaginoplasty or vaginal rejuvenation. There are different opinions about cosmetic procedures of the female genital organs. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists still remains skeptical about the necessity of cosmetic vaginoplasty and labiaplasty. However, some surgeons and obgyn specialists try to explain the benefits of vaginoplasty and labiaplasty in a female’s self-esteem and confidence.
Different Types of Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeries
- Revirgination – is considered to be a fast and efficient procedure. Normally, during the first sexual intercourse, the entrance to the vagina “brakes”. Hymenoplasty is a procedure that repairs the hymen to its original state like it was before sexual intercourse. For some cultures, virginity is a must and revirgination is among the most controversial of cosmetic vaginal surgeries performed.
- Clitoral Hoodectomy – In some cases there is excessive skin on the sides of the clitoris, making it look enlarged and sometimes even uneven. For some woman, this can be very frustrating. Excessive skin on the sides of the clitoris is often combined with asymmetry or hypertrophy of the labia minora. During this procedure, surgeons try to shape the clitoris to a perfect shape. This procedure is also thought to increase the self-esteem and the libido in females.
- G-Spot amplification – is a revolutionary method that amplifies the G-Spot up to four times. Collagen filler or hyaluronic acid is injected into the spot in order to increase sensitivity during sexual intercourse. Recent studies have shown that G-Spot amplification increases the woman’s libido.
The Risks of Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty
Like any other surgical procedure, even Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty have their own side effects, risks, and possible complications.
- Reaction to medications used during anesthesia
- Damage to the nearby organs like the bowel, bladder, uterus, etc.
- Ongoing pain
- Permanent sensitivity changes
- Scarring, etc.
If you are considering any of the vaginal surgical procedures, talk to your family doctor first. There are many other non-surgical options, like Kegel exercises that can tone up the vaginal muscles and also increase the libido and self-esteem.
If you would like to talk to the leading gynecologists in Brooklyn, come to Century Medical and Dental Center (Downtown Brooklyn, Gravesend, Flatbush, Fort Greene and Midtown Manhattan) for a consultation today.